Scratches on the mirror are caused due to negligence in proper cleaning of the mirror. The main reason behind scratches on mirrors is the inappropriate use of clothing material. For example, using rough towels, cloths, sponges, or harsh chemicals can create deep scratches on the mirror which could be tough to remove later. Hence, this guide would teach you how to remove scratches from mirror.
A mirror with a scratch disrupts the appearance of the room. So, in order to repair the mirror, there are various ways one can opt for removing scratches from the mirror. Light scratches can be repaired easily while large scratches require time and a few additional methods.
But, that’s not the end of the story. There is a lot to learn on how to remove scratches from mirror in this guide. Keep on reading…
How to remove scratches from mirror?
Long story short, to remove scratches(or deep scratches) from the mirror you can try various methods. But, the best method to repair a scratched mirror is to mix a small amount of toothpaste(or baking soda) with a small amount of water on the scratched area with soft, line-free, and non-aggressive clothes. Avoid using paper towels while repairing your deeply scratched mirror.
Remove scratches from mirror with toothpaste
One can use regular toothpaste for fixing the scratch. Toothpaste can be helpful in removing small scratches from mirrors because it contains mild abrasives that can gently polish the surface of the mirror. This works best for very superficial scratches that haven’t deeply damaged the mirror’s surface.
- Firstly, clean the surface where you have to apply.
- Take toothpaste in small quantities and apply it in a circular motion on the scratched area.
- Keep doing the same for up to 30 seconds.
- Wipe the surface with a clean cloth or paper and observe the surface to know whether the scratch is replaced or not.
- Do the same if required.
Remove scratches from mirror with baking soda
People still use baking soda to remove scratches. However, using baking soda to remove scratches from mirror is not much effective. Baking soda contains mild abrasives or roughness which help in removing the stains(and not scratches) from the mirror.
Here’s how to remove scratches from mirror with baking soda:
- Take the baking soda.
- Make the paste of baking soda and water, both in the same quantity.
- Apply it on the surface with the help of a soft cloth.
- Apply it in a circular motion.
- Wipe it with a clean cloth.
Remove scratches with nail polish
Applying nail polish can help in removing or hiding the scratch but we won’t suggest you to do the same. Using nail polish on mirror scratches isn’t as effective as toothpaste. However, you can try it to remove scratches from the mirror as It fills the space made by the scratch and helps in removing it.
- Apply the nail polish on the scratched surface.
- Let the surface dry.
- Now, apply the nail polish remover on a clean cloth and use it to wipe the surface for removing excess nail polish.
Remove scratches with jewelry polish (cerium oxide)
Jwelery polish or cerium oxide is a polishing compound used by jewelers to clean jeweleries. It is an anti-reflective material that acts as a mirror or glass. It produces a hard or resistant surface after application which helps in repairing the scratches.
- Take the cerium oxide.
- Make a paste using the polish and water.
- Apply it with a help of a clean cloth on the surface.
- Let it dry for some time.
It is important to note that cerium oxide is an effective method to remove scratches from the mirror, however, it is NOT effective for deep scratches or cracks in the mirror.
Remove scratches from the mirror with mustard and vinegar paste
It is a DIY method to remove scratches from the mirror. It allows the user to remove the scratches from the surface easily. The paste contains amazing properties of both ingredients which help in removing the scratch. The acidic property of vinegar helps in dissolving scratches while the abrasive material of mustard oil he’s in buffing the scratches.
Here’s how to use mustard and white vinegar paste to remove mirror scratches:
- Take white vinegar and mustard.
- Make the paste by mixing both.
- Apply it on the surface.
- Let it be dry.
How to remove deep scratches from the mirror?
To effectively remove the deep scratches from the mirror you can use the dry mustard and white vinegar paste. Apply the paste gently with a soft cloth over the scratches. You can also use nail polish in order to remove the deep sractches from the mirror.
By using dry mustard and vinegar
Both the items are very common and can be found easily in every household. These are very useful in solving various problems and one of them is removing scratches which is a major concern.
- Take both ingredients in equal amounts.
- Mix them
- Apply them gently on the affected area.
- See the amazing results.
Using clear nail polish
Maybe you will wonder how this small bottle can solve the major concern but it can. It has mild abrasives which can hide the scratches or can be repaired by filling the space made by them.
- Take clear nail polish.
- Apply it on a gentle cloth.
- Then apply it to the scratch in a circular motion.
- Thereafter, apply nail polish remover on another cloth and remove excess nail polish from the surface.
- See the amazing results.
Using liquid pumice and an electric buffer
Liquid pumice is a heavy duty hand cleaner that can effectively clean tempered glass as it contains mild abrasives which help in removing scratches.
- Take the liquid pumice and buff the glass with your hand in a circular motion.
- Do this for several minutes.
- Rinse the glass after this.
- Check it properly for any residue left out.
- Do the same if you are not satisfied with the results.
Do’s and Don’ts while removing scratches from mirror
Scratched mirrors ruin the appearance of the room, car, or wherever it is. But it doesn’t mean that it can’t be repaired which will again make your room look pleasant or the vehicle.
- Use a clean cloth for fixing it.
- Apply gently.
- Clean the surface properly.
- Let the material be dried.
- Don’t be harsh while applying the material on the scratch.
- If the scratch is too deep then, take the mirror to the repairer.
- Don’t use dirty clothes.
Getting scratches over the mirror is like an oops moment. One can get them easily but removing them with ease is a very difficult task to do. It requires a lot of time and patience.
In this post we learnt various ways to remove scratches from the mirror. We learnt how to remove deep scratches from the mirror. Summarizing everything, we can use toothpaste or a baking soda paste mixed with water to effectively remove the scratches from the mirror.
You can also use other methods like – nail polish, baking soda, and mustard oil paste.